IMPORTANT: for international travelers, please read and complete the International Students Travelling During COVID-19 – updated 210226
Independent Schools COVID-19 Update – February 23, 2021 (from Ministry of Education and FISA)
Updated COVID-19 Health & Safety Guidelines: Based on feedback from the K-12 Education Steering Committee, the Provincial COVID-19 Health & Safety Guidelines for K-12 Settings have been enhanced to clarify requirements related to masks, physical activities, and off-campus settings. The BCCDC guidelines were updated February 4. They are available for viewing on the COVID-19 safe schools website.
Daily health check app: The K-12 Daily Health Check website and app is an easy way to decide if your child should attend school based on their symptoms. It includes current health guidelines and offers an age-appropriate user-experience for K to 12 students. Bookmark the website: k12dailycheck.gov.bc.ca
- COVID-19 Testing Option for K-12 Students: B.C. has a COVID-19 testing option for school-aged students that involves swishing and gargling sterile salt water and spitting into a collection tube. Families and students can look at the testing information for children and youth, watch a video about what to expect and find information on how to get test results. Younger students should practice the mouth rinse and gargle technique at home with water at least two hours before going for a test.
- BC K-12 Education Restart Plan: Updates to five-stage planning framework
- Restart Plan Guidelines: for school districts and independent schools
- Operational Guidelines for School Districts and Independent Schools
- WorkSafeBC K-12 Education Protocols: Provides guidance and protocols for returning to operation for K-12 education providers
- Learn Magazine: Article on low COVID-19 transmission rates among children
- The BC Centre for Disease Control’s COVID-19 dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/hea…/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data
- Covid-19 Public Exposures http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
- Keep Learning: Provides learning resources and supports for K-12 students. This site is being updated as new resources are available. The French version of the website was recently launched.
- “7 Tips for talking to kids about COVID-19” poster on the Fraser Health website – https://www.fraserhealth.ca/health-topics-a-to-z/coronavirus/resources#.XqHcNc5KhPZ
- Information about COVID-19, including information for schools and families, is regularly updated on the BC Centre for Disease Control site: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/childcare-schools
- All joint statements from Provincial Health Officer Dr Bonnie Henry and Minister of Health Adrian Dix are posted here: https://news.gov.bc.ca/ministries/health
- The Provincial Pandemic Coordination plan: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/reports-publications/pandemic-provincial-coordination-plan.pdf
- KIDS and COVID-19 QA: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/coronavirus-(novel)#For–schools–and–childcare
- Ministry of Health response plans – https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/current-health-topics/pandemic-influenza
- BC’s Response to COVID-19 website: Provides up-to-date non-clinical information on COVID-19. The COVID-19 app is available on Apple’s app store and the Google Play store. British Columbians can also use the new provincial phone service by calling 1-888-COVID19, available seven days a week from 7:30AM to 8:00PM, with information in over 110 languages. Specific public health questions re: COVID-19 should be directed to your local health authority.
Mental Health and Wellness Resources
There are many resources available, and we encourage you to explore to find the one that works best for you. Mental health and wellness are always important, and even more so in these challenging times. Please reach out if you need support.
- Compassionate Learning Communities – Supporting Trauma-Informed Practice
- Linda O’Neill – Trauma Informed in the Classroom
- Ministry of Children and Familes: Healing Families, Helping Systems
- Parents grade 1-6 https://www.anxietycanada.
- COVID-19 Youth Mental Health Resource Hub: https://jack.org/covid
- Grade 7-12 App https://www.
- Grade 9-12 https://www.anxietycanada.com/
articles/what-to-do-if-you- are-anxious-or-worried-about- coronavirus-covid-19/
- Grade 7 and Up https://foundrybc.ca/